- To reduce the amount of consumer food coming to the dish return, Neubig Dining now serves entrees.
- In 2013, ASC purchased the "LeanPath" measurement equipment and system that identifies areas where food waste can be reduced.
- In 2012, new evaporator controls were installed in large walk-in coolers in dining units on campus. Energy savings from lower fans usage and defrosting was up to 40%.
- In 2011, Campus Catering switched to a new corn-based ethanol cooking fuel called Green Heat, made by Candle Lamp. It does not contain the toxic, methanol-based fuel used in many canned fuel products. It meets the Green Restaurant Association's chemical standards.
- In 2011, ASC purchased $66,700 worth of energy-efficient food service equipment, replacing some pieces that were more than 20 years old.
- In 2010, ASC eliminated plastic bags from Subway.
- ASC instituted special pricing to encourage duplex printing to reduce paper use on campus in Fall 2011. All public printers and copiers in computer labs and the Library default to print on both sides, which saves paper.
- ASC switched many of the employee communications from printed paper to electronic screens in each work location.
- ASC reduced plastic foam usage approximately 20% from Fiscal Year '03 - Fiscal Year '07.
- In 2009, ASC eliminated plastic foam cups from Dunkin' Donuts.
- ASC's retail dining facilities use such biodegradable plastic containers as Natureworks compostable grab-n-go containers.
- In 2010, Neubig Dining eliminated trays, which reduced water and chemicals to wash and reduced food waste.
- ASC revised hours of operations in Fiscal Year 2008 to reduce energy usage during low customer traffic periods in various locations.
- ASC increased fountain beverage servicing in the dining units, leading to a 35% reduction in sale of bottled beverages.
- ASC maintains its 2006-07 energy footprint with Coca-Cola; it will only accept swapping of beverage coolers or vending units.
- Exploring with Coca-Cola installation of vending misers that will turn off power to vending machines based on motion and temperature.
- Coca-Cola has a number of sustainable initiatives that affect the Cortland community. Dasani water bottles are now made with a high percentage of plant materials and are 100% recyclable.
- In 2008, ASC replaced an electric boiler with a gas boiler at the Commissary for an energy cost savings of $900 per month
- In 2008, switched an electric pizza oven for a gas oven in Raquette Pizza.
- In 2007, replaced a 50-year-old dishwasher with an energy-efficient, low-water-use unit in Neubig Dining.
- Dramatically reduced the volume of printed marketing materials sent to new and returning students by focusing on key messages and emphasizing ASC's Web page.
- Reduced the use of strong chemicals by switching to "green" cleaning agents.
- Reduced paper waste by conducting the ASC dining survey and all elections to the ASC membership online. All photocopied material is double sided where applicable.
- In Summer 2010, a majority of beverage vending machines were replaced with energy-efficient machines that go dormant after a period of non-use.
- Peet's Coffee Sustainability
- In 2013, Neubig Dining added a pulper to chop up all food scrap waste. A local framer takes it to compost.
- ASC recycles 100% of all eligible plastic and metal containers in our food production facilities.
- Dining units recycle used vegetable fryer oil. A local farmer collects and uses it as as biofuel for farm equipment, home heating and his automobile.
- Working on the preservation and/or elimination of plastic trays in dining locations.
- Central Production composts all food waste.
- Hilltop, as a "green" facility, is using more paper and alternative service ware and utensils that decompose within a local farmer's composting program.
- The College Store carries Earth-friendly graduation regalia. The acetate fabric fiber is made from natural wood sourced exclusively from renewable managed forests. Acetate fabric is proven to decompose in soil within a year. The gown contains an Eco-Zip™ coil zipper with tape and teeth made from 100% recycled PET. Earth-friendly plastic gown packaging is proven to decompose in a landfill within a reasonably short period of time. It contains ECM BioFilms™ material, which facilitates the decomposition process.
- ASC will refill any mug for a 15% discount on the beverage cost.
- Dining units use only recycled paper napkins.
- Neubig Dining was converted to an all-you-care-to-eat dining facility in 2005. In conjunction with this change, ASC started using washable china and silverware. As a result, we have reduced the use and disposal of paper, plastic foam and plastics in Neubig alone by more than 30%.
- Food remaining in dining halls before semester breaks is donated to local food pantries.
- The College Store offer students a rebate if they return cardboard pre-pack boxes to be reused.
- The College Store has one of the largest selections of used and recycled textbooks.
- The College Store donates no value books to a Trees for the Future that sells the paper for recycling and plants trees with the proceeds. Books for Trees plants 300 trees per semester with the donated books from SUNY Cortland.
- In 2014, three hundred pounds of tomatoes grown in Homer were turned into pizza sauce on campus
- In 2013, campus garden was created to educate students about where their food comes from. Campus chefs created speciality dishes with those ingredients grown just outside Neubig Dining Hall.
- Upstate Farms - Milk co-op utilizing upstate dairy farms
– Milk, cottage cheese, bulk yogurt, cream
- Maines Paper and Food Service - Binghamton, NY
– Prime vendor relationship
- F&T Distributing - Ithaca, NY
– Secondary distributor relationship
- Bagel Lovers - Dryden, NY
- Crowley’s soft serve ice cream (Neubig) - Binghamton, NY
– Utilizes Cortland County farms
- Cortland Bottled Water - Concord, NY
- Greenware Products - Rochester, NY
– (Biodegradable/Compostable) pudding parfaits, fruit cups, yogurt parfaits, snack cups
- Coffee Mania - Cortland, NY
– Neubig, Poolside, Concessions, Dragons Court
- Caffe Latte - Valley Cottage, NY
- Badman’s Bushel - Homer NY
– seasonal produce
- Great Lakes Cheese - Cuba, NY
– Cheese products
- Ames Linen, Cortland, NY
– All linen and dry cleaning