Students with Medical Nutritional Needs —
Policy and Procedures
A medical diagnosis requiring a modified diet can be challenging. ASC is committed to serving guests with special dietary needs.
Labeling of Menu Items
To make food selection easier, we label all menu items* to identify the presence of the top 8 allergens (milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish). We also designate items that are without gluten.*
This information is found on the digital menu boards in each dining location, as well as on our website. See our full list of symbols here and get more information about our gluten-friendly options here.
Allergy Awareness Areas
At Neubig Dining and The Bistro, we have specially designated Allergy Awareness Areas. In addition to stocking foods that do not contain gluten, these areas also contain a number of items to meet the needs of guests with food allergies. Items include soy, almond and Lactaid milks, non-dairy cheese, cream cheese and butter alternatives, and packaged foods free of various allergens.
Other Campus Dining Locations
At dining locations throughout campus, you can find alternatives to dairy milk such as soy and almond milks.
Most guests with medically restricted diets are able to meet their needs using the resources described above. However, some may have more extensive dietary needs, such as a non-top 8 food allergy or the need for a mechanical soft diet. On a case-by-case basis, ASC can provide reasonable dietary accommodations to meet these needs.
Procedures for Guests Requesting Special Dietary Accommodations
- Make an initital appointment with the nutritionist.
- Provide documentation from a licensed medical provider stating the diet order and diagnosis. Diagnosis of food allergies must be based on standardized, proven diagnostic procedures.
- Communicate regularly with dining management and the nutritionist. If you choose not to use the special arrangements set up for you for three consecutive days without notice, those services may be suspended until you contact the nutritionist or dining manager. Please communicate with us regularly, so that we may have the foods you need available for you.
- Remind food handlers of specific allergies or medical nutrition needs.
* Disclaimer: The possibility exists that food manufacturers may change the formulation of products without our knowledge. ASC Dining Services can assume no liability for these changes.